Driving in Canada is a spectacular experience. It is the most popular way to see this magnificent country.
The tall peaks of the Rocky Mountains, the azure depths of Canadas lakes, and the wide open expanse of the prairie lands are truly best appreciated by car.
If you want to set off on that life-changing journey, here is what you need to carry if you are driving in Ontario.


You must have a valid driving permit from your home country if you are from outside of Canada and are visiting Ontario for less than three months.
However, if you are from outside of Canada and your visit exceeds three months,you should have a valid home country driving license and an International Driver’s Permit.


You can hold a valid driving permit from your home country if you are from outside of Canada and are studying in Ontario.
With this document, you can drive for up to 60 days as a student. Beyond that, you will need to have an Ontario license.


As a new resident of Ontario, you can change your home country driving permit to a Class 5 license within 90 days after taking residency.
In case your driving permitis from the following countries/territories:

  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Germany
  • Great Britain
  • Isle of Man
  • Ireland
  • Japan
  • New Zealand
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Republic of Korea
  • Taiwan
  • United States

You can exchange it for either an Ontario Class 5driver’s license or Class 6 (depending on the country).
In case you have more than 2 years of driving experience, you just have to take an eye exam.
If you have less than 2 years of driving experience, you need to take:
An eye exam
The G2 road test (which is taken once you accumulate 2 years of experience – from driving at home and in Ontario under a G1 license).
Note: There are certainconditions related to driving with a G1 license.
In case your country is not on this list, you will need to undertake a complete drivers license examination, comprising knowledge, vision,and road tests.
Ifyou have more than 2 years of driving experience, you have to take:

  • A written exam
  • An eye exam

You can take the G2 road test afterward.
If your driving experience is less than 2 years, youhave to take:

  • A written exam
  • An eye exam

You can take your G1road test afterwards.
Once you are able to accumulate 1 year of driving experience (foreign and in Ontario under your G1 license), you can go for the G2 exam.

  • When you are declaring proof of foreign driving experience, you can self-declare it for up to one year without any document.
  • If you want to declare more than a year, you would requireanofficial letterfrom the foreign government/agency that issued your drivers license, which confirms that the license is authentic.

This letter needs to be written in either English or French.
You can check out theGovernmentof Ontariowebsite for more information.


    Thinking about Canadian Immigration

    Talk to the immigration experts

    Latest Blog


    Working in Canada Without a Work Permit: Understanding the Exceptions

    May 20, 2024

    Foreign workers are typically required to obtain a Canadian work permit to secure employment in the country. However, there are exceptions to this rule, allowing certain individuals to work in...

    Continue reading

    Start your Canadian Journey here

    Reasons to Immigrate to Canada

      Check your eligibility

      error: Content is protected !!