If you would like to drive in Canada, you will need a valid license to do that. The process to get a drivers license in Canada is dependent on the province or territory you live in along with your driving background.

If you are a visitor

Now, lets say you are visiting Manitoba and arefrom outside Canada, to drive here:

  • You will require a valid driver’s license from your home country. In case it is not in English or French, you will have to carry acertified copy of your driver’s license translated by an official translator.
  • An International Driver’s Permit

With either of these, you can drive for up to three months as a visitor.

If you are a student or a new resident

You can change your home country driver’s permit to a Class 5 license. With this, you can drive up to 90 days after taking residency. However, you will have to change your home country’s driver’s license prior to that.
If you have a driving permit from any of these countries/territories:

  • Austria
  • France
  • Germany
  • Isle of Man
  • Northern Ireland
  • Ireland
  • Republic of Korea
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom
  • United States

You can exchange it to a:

  • ManitobaClass 5driver’s license
  • Class 6 – depending on the country

However, you will need to pass knowledge and road tests if your country is not in this list.
Before taking these tests, you will have to register as a Manitoba Public Insurance customer – either via aService Centre or an Autopac Agent.
You can visit theManitoba Public Insurance website if you require more information.


    Thinking about Canadian Immigration

    Talk to the immigration experts

    Latest Blog


    Working in Canada Without a Work Permit: Understanding the Exceptions

    May 20, 2024

    Foreign workers are typically required to obtain a Canadian work permit to secure employment in the country. However, there are exceptions to this rule, allowing certain individuals to work in...

    Continue reading

    Start your Canadian Journey here

    Reasons to Immigrate to Canada

      Check your eligibility

      error: Content is protected !!