British Columbia

British Columbia

If you want to legally drive a car in Canada, you’ll require a drivers license that’s been issued by your province or territory’s government.
Do remember to have it with you whenever you’re driving as, with it, you can drive anywhere you want in Canada.

If you are a student

If you are studying here and are from outside Canada, you must have a valid driver’s license issued by your home country. In case your driver’s license is not in the English language, carry its certified translation done by a translator approved by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC).
You can drive till your studies last, so long as you remain a full-time student only.

If you are a Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program foreign worker

To drive here, you require a valid home country’s permit. If it is not in English, you will need a certified translation of the same, done by an ICBC-approved translator.
Do note that you can drive for up to a year during your stay here. In case you leave the country and return,this one-year timeline shall commence again.

If you are a visitor

If you are from outside Canada and are visiting British Columbia, you should have a valid home country driver’s license. If it is not in English, you will need a certified translation of the same, done by an ICBC-approved translator.
With these, you can drive for up to six months here as a visitor.

If you are a resident

As a new resident of British Columbia, you can change your home country driving permit to a Class 5 license. For this, you have to drive up to 90 days after taking residency. Also, you have to change your home country’s driver’s license prior to that.

  • In case your driving permitis from the following countries/territories:
  1. Australia
  2. Austria
  3. France
  4. Germany
  5. Guernsey
  6. Isle of Man
  7. Ireland
  8. Jersey
  9. Japan
  10. Netherlands
  11. New Zealand
  12. Republic of Korea
  13. Switzerland
  14. Taiwan
  15. United Kingdom
  16. United States

If you have been driving for more than two years, you can exchange it for either a British ColumbiaClass 5driver’s license or Class 6 (depending on the country).
If your experience is less than two years, you have to undergo the Graduated Licensing Program(GLP).

  • In case your country is not on this list, you will need to pass knowledge and road tests. You have to take the Class 5 road test if you have two years of driving experience. Else, you have to under go the GLP.

Once you are in possession of your new British Columbia driver’s license, you have to surrender your previous license.


    Thinking about Canadian Immigration

    Talk to the immigration experts

    Latest Blog


    Working in Canada Without a Work Permit: Understanding the Exceptions

    May 20, 2024

    Foreign workers are typically required to obtain a Canadian work permit to secure employment in the country. However, there are exceptions to this rule, allowing certain individuals to work in...

    Continue reading

    Start your Canadian Journey here

    Reasons to Immigrate to Canada

      Check your eligibility

      error: Content is protected !!