Federal Skilled Trades Class (FSWC)
Qualified trade workers from across the globe can leverage the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) to immigrate to Canada permanently. The FSTP is in alignment with the Express Entry selection system. It helps tradespersons expedite their immigration process. It is the only dedicated immigration pathway that came into existence in 2013 for skilled tradespersons. Applying for FSTP can be a straightforward process if you have the support of a knowledgeable immigration consultant.
Federal Skilled Trades Class Advantages
The FSTP helps Canada resolve labor shortages in trade occupations for maintaining economic growth. Besides, a large proportion of the aging population and low birth rates are also causing scarcity of skilled labor in trade occupations. These are the reasons for launching FSTP, which offers an array of benefits to immigrants.
- A faster way to permanent residency- The FSTP applicants can obtain permanent residence status in the short span of six months by applying through the Express Entry selection process.
- Greater possibility of success through Express Entry- The applicants of FSTP need not prove their education. They can also take advantage of exclusive draws for FSTP candidates.
- Boost CRS through PNP nomination- You can hope to boost your CRS by a whopping 600 points if you manage to receive a provincial nomination.
- Advantages of Canadian work experience- If you have Canadian work experience, then Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will offer extra points in the Comprehensive Ranking System. Moreover, you are in a better position to thrive in the Canadian labor market.
- Get an edge over the competition- Express Entry is a competitive selection system. The Canadian work experience, connections, and knowledge will make you more competitive while applying for FSTP through Express Entry selection.
Federal Skilled Trades Class Requirements
Following are the vital requirements to be eligible for the FSTP:
- Having up to two valid job offers from Canadian employers for one year. Alternatively, you may have a certificate of qualification from a territorial or provincial body.
- Should be able to prove language skills to meet the minimum threshold as per IRCC guidelines. The proof should be from a designated Language Testing organization.
- Has two years of work experience as a full-time worker or equivalent part-time experience, within five years before the date of application
- Capable of demonstrating the skill levels that relate to the occupation’s essential duties
- The applicant must have Skilled Work Experience in specific categories of the National Occupation Classification (NOC). One must check that the individual trade is part of the list of these categories of occupation before applying.
Federal Skilled Trades Class Eligible Trades
Skilled work experience eligible for the FSTC falls under the following categories of the National Occupational Classification (NOC):
Group 72 – industrial, electrical and construction trades
Group 73 – maintenance and equipment operation trades
Group 82 – supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
Group 92 – processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
Group 632 – chefs and cooks, and
Group 633 – butchers and bakers
Some Provinces such as Ontario has a separate program known as the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program for persons who selecting Ontario as their home under Skill Trade category.
There is no education requirement for this Program. But in order to gain points for education under Express Entry, an applicant either need:
- a certificate, diploma or academic credential from a Canadian educational institution; or
- an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) provided by a designated organization showing that your education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian secondary or post-secondary institution
Federal Skilled Trades Class Application Process
Eligible candidates for the Federal Skilled Trade Program need to leverage the Express Entry selection process to receive an Invitation to Apply. It is advisable to get in touch with an immigration expert to create or review your Express Entry profile. Following are some of the critical steps to take note of:
- You should be able to prove that you have a minimum of two years of appropriate work experience. You may continue to improve your work experience profile if you are falling short.
- Your skill trade must be in the list of recognized occupations by the IRCC to be eligible under FSTP.
- Make sure that you have the requisite proofs of language tests to demonstrate your language proficiency.
- Not having a valid job offer or a provincial certificate may disqualify you from applying to the FSTP.
- Access the web portal of IRCC to create an Express Entry profile. You may seek the support of a knowledgeable immigration counselor to complete this critical step with no flaws.
- Take proactive steps to improve your CRS score if you feel that you may be below the necessary scores.
- Receiving an Invitation to Apply
- Submit an e-APR or an electronic Application for Permanent Residence by completing background checks and police verifications.
- The immigration authorities review your e-APR.
- Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) is processed and issued to the candidate.
- Get your Permanent Resident card on arrival at the Port of Entry.
Dev Immigration Services Inc is your reliable resource to complete the Express Entry profile and other necessary applications to obtain permanent residence status. Visit us to know how to improve your CRS score for a successful outcome.